(Legend: Blue-travel by ship; Red – travel by bus or train; Green – travel by air)
Trekking the Planet began as a 424-day, around-the-world trip (Trekking the Planet RTW) to raise K-12 geo-literacy. We visited 53 countries on six continents. During the expedition we trekked in 12 of some of the most remote and unspoiled places in the world. By visiting places of cultural and natural significance, our hope was to instill a greater awareness and curiosity about the world in as many young people as possible. The journey began on 28 January 2012 and was completed on 26 March 2013. During our expedition, we published free weekly educational materials that corresponded to our current location.
Here is a short video overview about the Trekking the Planet RTW expedition.
Also be sure to check out our Geography Navigator page, which visually shows the location of our education materials, stories and videos on a world map. Looking for information about a given country? Country Capsules has our materials categorized by nation. And if you like information “by the numbers,” check out our Trekking the Planet by the Numbers series of information by continent, including:
- Population (and world rank)
- Area (and world rank)
- Life Expectancy at Birth in Years (and world rank)
- GDP Per Capita – PPP (and world rank)
- Median Age in Years
- Literacy Rate percentage
- Big Mac Index (to learn more about this measure, click here)
To read more about our travels, click below.
View our journey by continent:
View our journey in chronological order:
- More of Our Top Destinations In this follow-up story, Darren features more favorite destinations from places we visited during the second half of our trip.
- Trekking the Planet Recap Videos Here are all eight of the Trekking the Planet recap videos, filmed throughout our journey, in one place!
- Why Trekking the Planet Focused on Geography In early 2011 when we began planning Trekking the Planet, we decided we wanted to travel with a purpose. Learn why we decided to dedicate our journey to bringing geography to life!
- More Travel ‘Horror’ Stories Sandy features more travel ‘horror’ stories that we experienced during our journey.
- Read our Matador Network Interview! Our journey has been featured on Matador Network! Trekking the Planet: Teaching Geography from a Travelers Perspective is the title of our interview.
- A Culinary Journey: Trekking the Planet Food Articles One of the great pleasures of traveling is the culinary journey taken in trying food from the places you visit. While on our expedition, we wrote several articles about our food experiences. Read all six stories here!
- The Best of Trekking the Planet Wallpaper Our ‘Best of’ Trekking the Planet wallpaper features 54 of our favorite photos from the 14 series that we released during our journey! The photos in this theme will automatically be rotated every 30 minutes.
- Trekking the Planet through our Treks [Video] During our 14 month around-the-world journey, we completed 12 treks in some of the most remote places in the world. While trekking we filmed our experiences and created short videos to summarize our time.
- Our Interviews while Trekking the Planet [Video and Audio] During our global travels we interviewed a wide variety of people. Take a look at our interviews!
- Trekking the Planet Continents: By the Numbers During our global journey we published a “By the Numbers” summary of the countries we visited on each continent. Learn more about the 53 countries we journeyed to and view our Infographic.
- “Isn’t It Boring to be Home?” It is hard to believe that it has been six months this week since we have returned home from our 424-day global journey to raise geography awareness. Sandy writes how we inevitably receive questions about what it is like to be home after being away for so long and whether we are just plain bored ...
- Listen to our Interview on The Pursuit Zone! We just completed a podcast interview with Paul Schmid from The Pursuit Zone.