(Legend: Blue-travel by ship; Red – travel by bus or train; Green – travel by air)
Trekking the Planet began as a 424-day, around-the-world trip (Trekking the Planet RTW) to raise K-12 geo-literacy. We visited 53 countries on six continents. During the expedition we trekked in 12 of some of the most remote and unspoiled places in the world. By visiting places of cultural and natural significance, our hope was to instill a greater awareness and curiosity about the world in as many young people as possible. The journey began on 28 January 2012 and was completed on 26 March 2013. During our expedition, we published free weekly educational materials that corresponded to our current location.
Here is a short video overview about the Trekking the Planet RTW expedition.
To read more about our travels, click below.
View our journey by continent:
View our journey in chronological order:
- Geography Awareness Did you know that American knowledge of geography is one of the worst in the world? A National Geographic-Roper Study that surveyed young Americans showed that 88 percent of those questioned could not find Afghanistan on a map of Asia. Sixty-three percent could not find Iraq or Saudi Arabia on a map, and 75 ...
- The Benefits of Traveling Overland One of the basic principles of Trekking the Planet is a preference for travel that is “closer to the ground”. One benefit of ground travel is the reduced “carbon footprint” over airplanes.
- Promoting an Active Lifestyle while “Trekking the Planet” Part of the mission of Trekking the Planet is to promote an active lifestyle as we undertake a series of hikes during our 14-month journey. Our hope is our example will encourage others to find ways to become more active as well.
- School Presentation Part 1: Why Study Geography? We are releasing a series of videos covering our student presentations. This first one is from our visit to an intermediate school and highlights geography and its importance in today’s global society.
- School Presentation Part 2: Where are You Going? This second video from our presentations to schools focuses on where we will be going on our around-the-world-trip to raise geography awareness.
- School Presentation Part 3: What are You Taking? The third video from our school presentations covers the equipment that our expedition will bring. We show samples of the some items we are packing for our around-the-world journey.
- School Presentation Part 4: What Materials are Available? The fourth and final video from our school presentation is here! Read the story to view the video.
- Trekking the Planet Q&A We recently took a list of some of our most frequently asked questions and each took turns answering them. Learn why we are taking our trip, our packing strategy and our communication plans on the road.
- Trekking the Planet in the News We are featured in the mid-November edition of the Fullerton Observer, a newspaper for the residents of Fullerton, California.
- Clothing that We Can’t Do Without Clothing is a major component of our around-the-world journey. We need to have items that are lightweight and versatile, as well as sturdy, to last for a 14-month trip.