(Legend: Blue-travel by ship; Red – travel by bus or train; Green – travel by air)
Trekking the Planet began as a 424-day, around-the-world trip (Trekking the Planet RTW) to raise K-12 geo-literacy. We visited 53 countries on six continents. During the expedition we trekked in 12 of some of the most remote and unspoiled places in the world. By visiting places of cultural and natural significance, our hope was to instill a greater awareness and curiosity about the world in as many young people as possible. The journey began on 28 January 2012 and was completed on 26 March 2013. During our expedition, we published free weekly educational materials that corresponded to our current location.
Here is a short video overview about the Trekking the Planet RTW expedition.
Also be sure to check out our Geography Navigator page, which visually shows the location of our education materials, stories and videos on a world map. Looking for information about a given country? Country Capsules has our materials categorized by nation. And if you like information “by the numbers,” check out our Trekking the Planet by the Numbers series of information by continent, including:
- Population (and world rank)
- Area (and world rank)
- Life Expectancy at Birth in Years (and world rank)
- GDP Per Capita – PPP (and world rank)
- Median Age in Years
- Literacy Rate percentage
- Big Mac Index (to learn more about this measure, click here)
To read more about our travels, click below.
View our journey by continent:
View our journey in chronological order:
- The Painted Monasteries of Romania [Video] Catch up with the Trekking the Planet team as they cover their time in the northern Romania visiting the Painted Monasteries.
- Check out our story in Independent Traveler – Geography Lessons Around the World We are excited to have our expedition featured in Independent Traveler. Geography Lessons Around the World is the title of our story on their website blog.
- Exploring the Balkans: Bulgaria and Serbia While traveling through the Balkan Peninsula, we visited the countries of Bulgaria and Serbia. We targeted one destination in each country to explore.
- Croatia – Pearl of the Adriatic [Video] Catch up with the Trekking the Planet team as they cover their time in Croatia.
- Our Top Destinations… So Far Now that we have passed the eight month point of our journey, Darren writes about our favorite destinations on our trip… so far.
- Eastern European Finale – Croatia After 41 days of traveling through 10 Eastern European countries we have reached our final nation – Croatia. Here, we chose to spend a week in three different places within this small but diverse country.
- Uncut – Africa Overview [Video] Catch up with the Trekking the Planet team as they review their time in Europe and also discuss their upcoming trip to Kenya and Ethiopia in Africa. In all, they will be spending six weeks between the two countries, while trekking, on safari and visiting historical sites.
- Read our Latest Interview in Adventeer We are featured on the Adventeer blog. In the interview we talk about some of our favorite experiences, the geography awareness motivation for our journey and things we are looking forward to as we continue to travel.
- Trekking the Planet Wallpaper – Series 4 Our fourth series of wallpaper, covering Riga, Latvia through our Kungsleden Trek in Sweden, is now available! This theme includes twelve (12) wallpaper photos. They will automatically be rotated every 30 minutes.
- An Italian Respite Sandy writes about our stay in Italy and taking time to recharge in the Italian Alps before our journey to Africa.
- There’s an App for That – Using an iPhone while Traveling Internationally Sandy writes about using her iPhone and how it has helped us while traveling internationally, especially during our recent time in Europe.
- Europe by the Numbers Now that we have recently completed our 12 weeks in Europe, Sandy provides some trip statistics, as well as country information, for the 19 nations that we visited there.
- A Walk on the Wild Side in the Maasai Mara To begin our time in Africa we took a multiple-day walking safari. Our hope was to experience some of the wild side of Africa, in terms of both bush terrain and animal encounters. We also had the opportunity to learn more about the Maasai people in the process.
- The Road to Maasai Mara [Video] Catch up with the Trekking the Planet team has they cover their time in the Maasai Mara in Kenya.