(Legend: Blue-travel by ship; Red – travel by bus or train; Green – travel by air)
Trekking the Planet began as a 424-day, around-the-world trip (Trekking the Planet RTW) to raise K-12 geo-literacy. We visited 53 countries on six continents. During the expedition we trekked in 12 of some of the most remote and unspoiled places in the world. By visiting places of cultural and natural significance, our hope was to instill a greater awareness and curiosity about the world in as many young people as possible. The journey began on 28 January 2012 and was completed on 26 March 2013. During our expedition, we published free weekly educational materials that corresponded to our current location.
Here is a short video overview about the Trekking the Planet RTW expedition.
Also be sure to check out our Geography Navigator page, which visually shows the location of our education materials, stories and videos on a world map. Looking for information about a given country? Country Capsules has our materials categorized by nation. And if you like information “by the numbers,” check out our Trekking the Planet by the Numbers series of information by continent, including:
- Population (and world rank)
- Area (and world rank)
- Life Expectancy at Birth in Years (and world rank)
- GDP Per Capita – PPP (and world rank)
- Median Age in Years
- Literacy Rate percentage
- Big Mac Index (to learn more about this measure, click here)
To read more about our travels, click below.
View our journey by continent:
View our journey in chronological order:
- Trekking the Planet Wallpaper – Series 3 Our third series of wallpaper, covering Nepal through Uzbekistan, is now available!
- Understanding Poland: A Country’s Primer During our week in Poland, we received a great introduction to the country, a ‘primer’ of sorts. We wanted to learn more about this country’s culture and its turbulent history. In addition, we wanted to view its natural features by bus and train.
- Uncut: Three Krakows during WWII [Video] Ewa Gawryla, Krokov city guide, describes the conditions that existed in Krakow during World War II. The interview was performed outside of the Oskar Schindler Factory – a new museum in Krakow
- Trekking the Planet Changes Itinerary in Africa Because of several issues in West Africa we have had to cancel this part of our itinerary. Read on to learn about where we will be traveling to instead.
- A Family Reunion in Germany After 10 days in Poland and Slovakia, we have left Eastern Europe to visit Germany. We chose to stay in two cities that we had not previously visited, Dresden and Bamberg. Germany is also the place for a very special family reunion, almost exactly halfway into our 14-month trip.
- Sandy and Darren’s Reunion with their Daughters [Video] Witness Sandy and Darren’s reunion with their daughters, Lauren and Kristen, after seven months apart. This video also features a Q&A session with them about travel.
- The Eight Most Surprising Items in our Luggage There are a few unusual things in our bags that we have brought on our journey. Read on to learn about the eight most surprising items in our luggage.
- Trekking the Julian Alps, European Style We have just completed our second European trek. This four-day hike took us through a small section of the Julian Alps, in the country of Slovenia. We wanted to hike here to take advantage of the hut-to-hut system, which is a type of trekking found in Europe.
- The Seven Lakes of Triglav [Video] Catch up with the Trekking the Planet team as they cover their time in the country of Slovenia.
- The Palace of Godollo near Budapest Hungary [Video] Catch up with the Trekking the Planet team as they visited the Palace of Godollo, which is located about 20 miles / 30 kilometers east of Budapest, Hungary.
- Travels to Budapest and Beyond… Our Train Odyssey through Europe Traveling through Europe may not pose some of the challenges found in Asia or Africa, but we have had our own set of problems to solve as we make our way through a total of 19 countries.
- Trekking the Planet Panoramic Photos – Series 3 Here is the next series of panoramic pictures, covering Riga, Latvia to Bled, Slovenia, that we have taken with our Sony DSC-HX9V. You can click on the photos to download the full-sized image.
- Two Views of Romania We journeyed to Romania to visit two different areas of the country that we wanted to experience before they become more popular in the future. Learn about our two views of Romania by reading more of the story.
- A Food Journey through Europe – Part I In the places we have visited so far in Europe, we have sampled the local food wherever possible. What follows are the highlights of our food experiences from Latvia, through Scandinavia, and on to Slovenia.