(Legend: Blue-travel by ship; Red – travel by bus or train; Green – travel by air)
Trekking the Planet began as a 424-day, around-the-world trip (Trekking the Planet RTW) to raise K-12 geo-literacy. We visited 53 countries on six continents. During the expedition we trekked in 12 of some of the most remote and unspoiled places in the world. By visiting places of cultural and natural significance, our hope was to instill a greater awareness and curiosity about the world in as many young people as possible. The journey began on 28 January 2012 and was completed on 26 March 2013. During our expedition, we published free weekly educational materials that corresponded to our current location.
Here is a short video overview about the Trekking the Planet RTW expedition.
Also be sure to check out our Geography Navigator page, which visually shows the location of our education materials, stories and videos on a world map. Looking for information about a given country? Country Capsules has our materials categorized by nation. And if you like information “by the numbers,” check out our Trekking the Planet by the Numbers series of information by continent, including:
- Population (and world rank)
- Area (and world rank)
- Life Expectancy at Birth in Years (and world rank)
- GDP Per Capita – PPP (and world rank)
- Median Age in Years
- Literacy Rate percentage
- Big Mac Index (to learn more about this measure, click here)
To read more about our travels, click below.
View our journey by continent:
View our journey in chronological order:
- Finding Old World Charm in Riga, Latvia [Video] Catch up with the Trekking the Planet team as they cover their time in Riga, Latvia. In this video, you will see the sites around town as well as some of the Art Nouveau buildings that made Riga famous. At the end of the video, you will learn about their visit to the ...
- The Third Lane: Karakol Natural Park (Kyrgyzstan) …Our driver expertly negotiated the dirt roads with one hand, using the other to emphasize his point as he debated with our guide, who was seated next to him. Unfortunately, we had no idea what they were talking about as the conversation was in Russian…
- Asia by the Numbers This is a story for those of you who are “into the numbers”. We kept track of some statistics and fun measures during our three months of travels in Asia. These numbers can be found in this story.
- Gulf of Finland Capitals: Tallinn and Helsinki We have spent the past few days in the capital cities of Tallinn, Estonia and Helsinki, Finland. The two cities are located about 50 miles (80 kilometers) across the Gulf of Finland from one another. We enjoyed learning about the history and culture of both places.
- Most Livable Helsinki [Video] Catch up with the Trekking the Planet team as they cover their time in Helsinki, Finland! In 2012, Helsinki was named World Design Capital. In this video, you will see why.
- The Third Lane: Bukhara to Khiva (Uzbekistan) We were traveling at about 85 miles / 135 kilometers per hour. The windows were wide open in hopes of bringing some relief from the heat as we drove across the Kyzyl Kum Desert. Our driver rested his hand on the center of the steering wheel just in case he needed to blast ...
- Trekking the Planet Panoramic Photos – Series 2 Here is the next series of panoramic pictures, covering Singapore to Kyrgyzstan, that we have taken with our Sony DSC-HX9V. You can click on the photos to download the full-sized image.
- Memories of Sweden Revisited Sandy writes about her return to Sweden 30 years after she was an exchange student in the country.
- To the Bitter End: Trekking on Lapland’s Kungsleden Trail As we approached our first trek in Europe we knew that it would be unlike anything we had attempted to date. We would also be trekking in one of the harshest environments in the world, in Lapland, located above the Arctic Circle.
- Strategy Update: How We Packed for our Around-the-World Journey We have passed the six month point of our trip and are checking in on our packing strategy. It became clear, when we looked at our packing requirements, that we needed to pack for four different types of trips during the journey.
- The Kungsleden Trek in Lapland [Video] Catch up with the Trekking the Planet team as they cover their time on the Kungsleden Trek above the arctic circle in the Lapland region of Northern Sweden.
- 10 Tips to See Scandinavia without Going Broke Scandinavia is one of the most beautiful areas in the world. It is also one of the most expensive places to visit. Darren writes about our tips on saving money in this region.
- Exploring Norway’s Coast by Bus and Train We did not have the budget to cruise down the Norwegian coast and see the fjords by sea. So we pieced together an overland itinerary to see as much of this scenic country as possible.
- Copenhagen’s Bicycle Super Highway [Video] See photos and video clips of Copenhagen and learn about their innovative bicycle super highway.