(Legend: Blue-travel by ship; Red – travel by bus or train; Green – travel by air)
Trekking the Planet began as a 424-day, around-the-world trip (Trekking the Planet RTW) to raise K-12 geo-literacy. We visited 53 countries on six continents. During the expedition we trekked in 12 of some of the most remote and unspoiled places in the world. By visiting places of cultural and natural significance, our hope was to instill a greater awareness and curiosity about the world in as many young people as possible. The journey began on 28 January 2012 and was completed on 26 March 2013. During our expedition, we published free weekly educational materials that corresponded to our current location.
Here is a short video overview about the Trekking the Planet RTW expedition.
Also be sure to check out our Geography Navigator page, which visually shows the location of our education materials, stories and videos on a world map. Looking for information about a given country? Country Capsules has our materials categorized by nation. And if you like information “by the numbers,” check out our Trekking the Planet by the Numbers series of information by continent, including:
- Population (and world rank)
- Area (and world rank)
- Life Expectancy at Birth in Years (and world rank)
- GDP Per Capita – PPP (and world rank)
- Median Age in Years
- Literacy Rate percentage
- Big Mac Index (to learn more about this measure, click here)
To read more about our travels, click below.
View our journey by continent:
View our journey in chronological order:
- Trekking the Planet featured as a Thursday Traveler in A Dangerous Business! We have been spotlighted in the Thursday Traveler section of the A Dangerous Business website.
- A Nomadic Journey through Kyrgyzstan Located in Central Asia, Kyrgyzstan is one of the most remote countries on the planet. The Kyrgyz people have historically been nomadic herders. Our 12-day journey provided a glimpse into this nomadic way of life as we traveled by road and foot through this mountainous country.
- Kyrgyzstan – Asia’s Best Kept Secret [Video] Catch up with the Trekking the Planet team as they visit the country of Kyrgyzstan in Central Asia.
- Trekking the Planet Wallpaper – Series 2 Our second series of wallpaper is here! This theme includes Twelve (12) wallpaper photos. They will automatically be rotated every 30 minutes.
- Farewell to Asia [Video] Catch up with the Trekking the Planet team as they summarize their time in Asia. In approximately three months, they visited nine countries and covered thousands of miles overland.
- A Warm Welcome in Uzbekistan We have been in Uzbekistan for about a week now and are amazed at what we have seen and at the warm welcome we have received from the local people.
- Europe Itinerary – Part I Here is a summary of our itinerary for the next few weeks. We will be visiting ten countries during this time.
- Our Continued Food Adventures in Asia Now that we have completed our three months of travel in Asia, here is a country by country summary of our food experiences, covering Nepal to Uzbekistan, during the second part of our time on this continent.
- Uzbekistan – Silk Road Oasis [Video] Catch up with the Trekking the Planet team as they cover the extreme contrasts of mysterious Uzbekistan.
- Uzbekistan Visions of the Silk Road Uzbekistan has been long synonymous with the Silk Road. After leaving Samarkand we split our time between visiting two Silk Road cities and experiencing the rural village countryside.
- Update from Riga [Video] In this video, Sandy provides her first impressions of Europe. She also reviews our plans for the next few weeks.
- The Third Lane: Everest Base Camp (Tibet) … In the distance, we would see a long train of Toyota Land Cruisers driving at high speeds from the opposite direction. As we pulled off to let them pass, we could see that they contained climbing gear and spent mountaineers returning from base camp as it was the end of the climbing season…
- Trekking the Planet Interviewed in Career Break Secrets We have been featured in the “Who’s Out There Now” Blog section of CareerBreakSecrets.com. This is a website dedicated to planning career breaks or travel adventures. Learn more about our journey’s geography awareness focus and a recent embarrassing moment.
- Goodbye Asia, Hello Europe! After over three months in Asia, Europe is the next continent on our journey. Our new experiences began with our first stop in Europe, Latvia.