(Legend: Blue-travel by ship; Red – travel by bus or train; Green – travel by air)
Trekking the Planet began as a 424-day, around-the-world trip (Trekking the Planet RTW) to raise K-12 geo-literacy. We visited 53 countries on six continents. During the expedition we trekked in 12 of some of the most remote and unspoiled places in the world. By visiting places of cultural and natural significance, our hope was to instill a greater awareness and curiosity about the world in as many young people as possible. The journey began on 28 January 2012 and was completed on 26 March 2013. During our expedition, we published free weekly educational materials that corresponded to our current location.
Here is a short video overview about the Trekking the Planet RTW expedition.
Also be sure to check out our Geography Navigator page, which visually shows the location of our education materials, stories and videos on a world map. Looking for information about a given country? Country Capsules has our materials categorized by nation. And if you like information “by the numbers,” check out our Trekking the Planet by the Numbers series of information by continent, including:
- Population (and world rank)
- Area (and world rank)
- Life Expectancy at Birth in Years (and world rank)
- GDP Per Capita – PPP (and world rank)
- Median Age in Years
- Literacy Rate percentage
- Big Mac Index (to learn more about this measure, click here)
To read more about our travels, click below.
View our journey by continent:
View our journey in chronological order:
- The Amazon: An Unexpected Journey [Video] Catch up with the Trekking the Planet team as Darren and Sandy review the first half of their time in the Amazon basin.
- What I Have Learned, One Year Later-Part 1 At the one year milestone of our journey, Darren writes about what he has learned so far from our around-the-world expedition.
- Trekking the Planet Wallpaper – Series 11 Our eleventh series of wallpaper, covering our time in Marrakesh, Morocco, is now available!
- Hitting the Road in South America We just completed the final scheduled flight of our journey and will be traveling by ground and sea from this point forward until we reach California at the end of March.
- The Amazon: There and Back Again [Video] Catch up with the Trekking the Planet team as Darren and Sandy review the second half of their time in the Amazon basin.
- We Celebrate our One Year Anniversary of Trekking the Planet! It was one year ago today that we left on our Trekking the Planet global expedition!
- Take a look at our Story on The Adventure Blog! The Adventure Blog has published a story about our journey. This article profiles the geography emphasis of our expedition and some of the remote places we have visited to date.
- What I Have Learned, One Year Later-Part 2 In Part 2 of this story, Darren shares some of the ways he has grown personally during our Trekking the Planet journey and his reactions to what we have seen and witnessed to date.
- Discovering Argentina’s Cities: Córdoba and Mendoza During our time in South America, we are visiting six countries and one territory. Argentina is the country where we will spend most of our time, totaling almost one month. We began our time here by visiting two of its cities: Córdoba and Mendoza.
- Trekking the Planet Panoramic Photos – Series 6 Here is our next series of panoramic pictures, covering the North Atlantic to Xixuau, Brazil.
- Roughing It – Trekking the Planet Style During our expedition we have made it a priority to travel to some of the most remote places in the world. When staying in these remote places the conditions can be less than optimal. Sandy discusses the balance we have used in ‘roughing it’ on this journey.
- Trekking the Planet Wallpaper – Series 12 Our twelfth series of wallpaper, covering our time in the North Atlantic to Punta del Este, Uruguay, is now available!
- Land of Dinos and Vinos – Northern Patagonia Our initial Patagonian stop was in the city of Neuquén. Here we took a “Dinos and Vinos” tour to learn more about the surrounding area.
- A Show of Hands (Cueva de Las Manos) [Video] Catch up with the Trekking the Planet team as Darren and Sandy review their time at the Cueva de Las Manos (or Cave of The Hands)