(Legend: Blue-travel by ship; Red – travel by bus or train; Green – travel by air)
Trekking the Planet began as a 424-day, around-the-world trip (Trekking the Planet RTW) to raise K-12 geo-literacy. We visited 53 countries on six continents. During the expedition we trekked in 12 of some of the most remote and unspoiled places in the world. By visiting places of cultural and natural significance, our hope was to instill a greater awareness and curiosity about the world in as many young people as possible. The journey began on 28 January 2012 and was completed on 26 March 2013. During our expedition, we published free weekly educational materials that corresponded to our current location.
Here is a short video overview about the Trekking the Planet RTW expedition.
Also be sure to check out our Geography Navigator page, which visually shows the location of our education materials, stories and videos on a world map. Looking for information about a given country? Country Capsules has our materials categorized by nation. And if you like information “by the numbers,” check out our Trekking the Planet by the Numbers series of information by continent, including:
- Population (and world rank)
- Area (and world rank)
- Life Expectancy at Birth in Years (and world rank)
- GDP Per Capita – PPP (and world rank)
- Median Age in Years
- Literacy Rate percentage
- Big Mac Index (to learn more about this measure, click here)
To read more about our travels, click below.
View our journey by continent:
View our journey in chronological order:
- A Day in Pictures – Samburu: Wamba, Kenya We spent the better part of a week in the town of Wamba as we explored the communities in the area. This provided us with the opportunity to observe everyday life in this remote part of Kenya.
- Ibexes, Wolves and Baboons (Oh My!) – Trekking in Ethiopia’s Simien Mountains During our three weeks in Ethiopia we visited archeological and historic sites. We also came to this country to trek in a remote place. We set off for our trek in the Simien Mountains to view the incredible vistas and see three unique animals.
- The Kindness of Strangers Sandy writes about those times when strangers have come to our aid and helped us out during our journey.
- Trekking in the Simien Mountains, Ethiopia [Video] Catch up with the Trekking the Planet team as they cover their time in Ethiopia.
- Seeking History and Religion in Northern Ethiopia Before and after our trek we journeyed through the northern portion of Ethiopia. Our travels took us along the Historical Circuit, as we sought Ethiopia’s unique history and the role of religion in its culture.
- Discovering Jordan Off the Beaten Path We came to Jordan to visit two of the country’s UNESCO World Heritage sites: the archeological treasure of Petra and the desert landscape of Wadi Rum. The way we explored each one took us off the beaten path and provided us with a more remote and memorable experience.
- Adventure Jordan: Petra Through the Back Door [Video] Catch up with the Trekking the Planet team as they cover their time in Jordan.
- A Mediterranean Voyage We are back at sea and on the Pacific Princess, as we travel from Rome, Italy, to Manaus, Brazil, over the next 32 days. As we began our journey we visited three ports in the Mediterranean Sea.
- Exploring Food in Africa and the Middle East As we traveled in Africa and the Middle East over the past two months, we had the opportunity to try many different types of food. Our three weeks in Ethiopia and 10 days in Jordan provided ample time to sample many dishes.
- A Taste of Morocco: Marrakesh Morocco is a country that we have wanted to visit for quite some time. So we were happy to stop in Morocco for a day on our way west, hoping to get a taste of what the country has to offer.
- Africa by the Numbers Sandy provides some trip statistics, as well as country information for the three nations that we visited during our seven weeks in Africa.
- Trekking the Planet Wallpaper – Series 7 Our seventh series of wallpaper, covering our time in Kenya is now available!
- Our Upcoming South America Itinerary We will begin 2013 in South America as we leave our ship in Manaus, Brazil. The next 10 weeks will be spent traveling through this continent, with stops in Brazil, Uruguay, Argentina and Chile.
- Trekking the Planet: Africa Recap [Video] Catch up with the Trekking the Planet team as Darren and Sandy review their time in Africa and the Middle East.