(Legend: Blue-travel by ship; Red – travel by bus or train; Green – travel by air)
Trekking the Planet began as a 424-day, around-the-world trip (Trekking the Planet RTW) to raise K-12 geo-literacy. We visited 53 countries on six continents. During the expedition we trekked in 12 of some of the most remote and unspoiled places in the world. By visiting places of cultural and natural significance, our hope was to instill a greater awareness and curiosity about the world in as many young people as possible. The journey began on 28 January 2012 and was completed on 26 March 2013. During our expedition, we published free weekly educational materials that corresponded to our current location.
Here is a short video overview about the Trekking the Planet RTW expedition.
Also be sure to check out our Geography Navigator page, which visually shows the location of our education materials, stories and videos on a world map. Looking for information about a given country? Country Capsules has our materials categorized by nation. And if you like information “by the numbers,” check out our Trekking the Planet by the Numbers series of information by continent, including:
- Population (and world rank)
- Area (and world rank)
- Life Expectancy at Birth in Years (and world rank)
- GDP Per Capita – PPP (and world rank)
- Median Age in Years
- Literacy Rate percentage
- Big Mac Index (to learn more about this measure, click here)
To read more about our travels, click below.
View our journey by continent:
View our journey in chronological order:
- In Search of the Big Five in Kenya We spent five days on safari in Kenya, visiting a variety of areas, ranging from small sanctuaries to large national parks. We had previously been on safari and had seen four of the five animals, the leopard being the exception. So we were hopeful of seeing one during our visit to Kenya.
- How We Stopped Leaving Items in our Hotel Room Darren provides an overview of our “quirky” methods to ensure that we do not leave items in hotel rooms.
- Take a Look at our Interview on TravelLinkSites.com! We have been interviewed in the Around the World Travel section of TravelLinkSites.com.
- A Samburu Sojourn We spent a week in the Samburu region of Kenya, learning more about non-profit work being done to provide clean water to communities in the area. In the process, we gained a greater appreciation for the people in this area.
- Our Travel ‘Horror’ Stories Sandy highlights some of our travel ‘horror’ stories that we have experienced on our journey to date.
- Trekking the Planet Wallpaper – Series 5 Our fifth series of wallpaper, covering Trondheim, Norway to Lake Bled, Slovenia is now available! This theme includes twelve (12) wallpaper photos. They will automatically be rotated every 30 minutes.
- In Search of Water in Samburu, Kenya [Video] Catch up with the Trekking the Planet team as they interview leaders in the Samburu community about the difference clean water can make in this very dry part of the world.
- Trekking the Planet Panoramic Photos – Series 4 Here is the next series of panoramic pictures, covering Julian Alps, Slovenia to Vatican City that we have taken with our Sony DSC-HX9V.
- Uncut: Interview with Min. of Education of Kenya, Hon. Mutula Kilonzo [Video] Catch up with the Trekking the Planet team as they are granted an interview with the Minister of Education of Kenya, Hon. Mutula Kilonzo, MP.
- Read our Follow-Up Story in the Fullerton (CA) Observer! Last November, our upcoming journey was featured in the Fullerton Observer, a newspaper for the residents of Fullerton, California. Now, a follow-up story has been published, chronicling our journey to date.
- Our European Food Experiences – Part II Sandy looks back at some of the local food highlights during the second portion of our Europe journey, as we traveled from Hungary to Italy.
- Our Upcoming Middle East and Atlantic Ocean Itinerary With our time in Africa coming to an end, we will be moving on to the Middle East and then on a voyage across the Atlantic Ocean to South America! View a summary of our itinerary by reading the story.
- Trekking the Planet Wallpaper – Series 6 Our sixth series of wallpaper, covering the Julian Alps in Slovenia to Italy is now available This theme includes twelve (12) wallpaper photos. They will automatically be rotated every 30 minutes.
- The Internationalization of Trekking the Planet Education Materials Darren discusses how advances in machine translation are making it possible for all students to take advantage of the materials produced by the Trekking the Planet team.