In 2016 the National Park Service celebrated its 100 anniversary. Most people are aware of the iconic parks of Yellowstone, Yosemite and the Grand Canyon. These are just three of the 59 National Parks found throughout the country. Our next journey, beginning in March 2017, will take us to 27 of the U.S. National Parks, over a 4 1/2 month period. The goal in visiting the national parks, similar to our other journeys, is to focus on the cultural and natural significance of what we see. So we plan to visit many of the more obscure and lesser known parks. For example, the number of yearly visitors to Isle Royale National Park in Michigan (where we plan to stop in June) is less than the number that visits Yellowstone in ONE day.
Also true to our travels, we plan to hike over 300 miles while visiting the parks and take several overnight backpacking trips. Our mode of transportation will be our Toyota 4Runner 4×4 SUV. We have outfitted the back of our vehicle with a platform that provides storage space underneath a mattress where we will sleep those nights when we are not backpacking.
Click on a green marker above to learn more about a park on the map.
Read more about our journey below:
- Announcing Our Next Adventure – A Journey to 27 United States National Parks! Our next journey, beginning in March 2017, will take us to 27 of the U.S. National Parks, over a 4 1/2 month period! Most people are aware of the iconic parks of Yellowstone, Yosemite and the Grand Canyon. These are just three of the 59 National Parks found throughout the country. Our goal in visiting ...
- How we converted our 4Runner into a Camper Camping is a main component of our U.S. National Parks journey, as we travel to 27 parks over four-and-a-half months. In fact, we plan to camp over 100 nights while driving round the United States. While planning this trip, Sandy and I discussed whether to buy a motorhome or 5th-wheel trailer. The problem was that ...
- Tuesday Quiz: Do You Know What are the Most Popular National Parks? This week’s Tuesday Quiz will test your knowledge of America’s most popular national parks. Can you fill in the ten most visited park names in the time alloted?
- Dueling Plans: Preparing for our National Parks and PCT Adventures If you have been following us for any length of time, you know that we are planners. We like to know where we are going, and what we will be doing for each day of a journey. Our upcoming United States National Parks (TTP NPS) adventure is no different. But what made things more challenging ...
- Tuesday Quiz: Find the location of the U.S. National Parks As we begin our travels to 27 U.S. National Parks, this week’s quiz challenges you to identify a national park based on its location on a map. How many can you accurately find?
- A Tale of Two Deserts: Joshua Tree National Park The focus of our Trekking the Planet NPS journey is to venture to new and lesser known U.S. national parks. However, for our first park we chose a familiar place: Joshua Tree National Park, which is only a one hour drive from our home in Palm Desert, CA. The park is unique in that it ...
- Tuesday Quiz: Match the National Park to its Picture This quiz will test your knowledge of the U.S. National Parks in pictures. You will have six minutes to correctly identify 20 parks.
- A Unique Cactus: Saguaro National Park There are four deserts in North America: the Mojave, Great Basin, Chihuahuan and Sonoran. The Sonoran Desert is the most complex and diverse of its counterparts, with its physical features ranging from mountain ranges to arid plains to grassy plateaus to lava flows. It also contains a catcus found nowhere else: the saguaro.
- A Walk on the Wild Side: Petrified Forest National Park Athough petrified wood can be found in all 50 U.S. States, Petrified Forest National Park has some of the highest concentrations in the world. We spent two days exploring this park as well as taking two overnight backpacking trips in the north and south wilderness areas.
- Tuesday Quiz: Find the Adjacent U.S. State During our Trekking the Planet NPS journey, we will be traveling through over 30 states! How well do you know what state is adjacent to others in the United States?