Below are some detailed graphs and statistics about our Trekking the Planet expedition. Click to enlarge any graph. Use the back button to return to this page.
Types of Transportation – Overall Journey
We traveled 77,354 miles (124,489 kilometers) in total, or 3.1 times the circumference of the earth at its equator.
Types of Transportation by Continent
Miles Traveled by Type and Treks by Month
- Total Trekking Distance: 470 Miles (758 Kilometers)
- Average Trekking Distance: 39.2 Miles (63.1 Kilometers)
- Longest Trek: Nepal – May 2012, total of 91 Miles (147 Kilometers)
Where We Spent the Night – Overall Journey
Where We Spent the Night by Continent
- Hotels: We stayed in 97 hotels and a total of 113 different rooms (we stayed in some places multiple times)
- Average Hotel Room Stay: 2.2 nights
- Least Expensive Hotel: Hotel Mystique, Lo Manthang, Nepal – $9.00 a night
- Most Expensive Hotel: Hotel Las Torres, Torres del Paine, Chile – $338.00 a night
Days Spent by Local Season and by Hemisphere
- Number of Times We Crossed the Equator:
- Narvik is 1,496 miles (2,407 kilometers) from the North Pole
Average Daily Spending by Continent
- Number of Currencies Used:
Since all our time in North America was spent on a cruise ship, that breakout is not included.
Miles Traveled by Continent
- Number of Time Zones Crossed:
- Longest time in a Time Zone: 74 days in GMT +3 (East Africa, Eastern Europe (DST), Jordan)
- Oceania: 3
- Asia: 10
- Europe: 12
- Africa: 4
- South America: 5
Number of Students (top) and Classrooms (bottom) Visited by Country
Educator Subscribers, as of March 1, 2013 – by Grade, U.S. State and Country
- Number of Videos Produced: over 70
Our subscribers came from about 850 classrooms / schools, and represented over 50,000 students. Most U.S. states were represented, as well as 20 countries. Thanks to all of you who sent us questions and encouragement during our journey!
Friend Subscribers, as of March 1, 2013 – by U.S. State and Country
- Number of Pictures Taken: over 13,000
Our Friends subscriber base grew to over 300 people during our journey. Our Friends came from twelve countries and a majority of the U.S. states. We so appreciated hearing from all of you as we traveled. Thanks!
View the Trekking the Planet journey Infographic here!
What other detailed measures are you interested in seeing from our Trekking the Planet journey? Send us your suggestions!